Chris Coombs on being a chef



One: What kind of chef are you at home and away from the professional kitchen?

At home I try and cook as healthy as possible for myself and my family.  We eat a lot of chicken and broccoli and rice.  Simple things.  I usually grill it,  I have an indoor and an outdoor grill so I can do it 12 months out of the year.

Two: Looking back on yourself, how do you feel about your achievements so far?

I go through always looking forward. I try and remain focused, humble and hungry.

Three: Explain how it felt to be a part of club des chefs des chefs, as it is such an honourable occasion.

It was definitely a fun dinner to be a part of, but I am not a part of the club.  I was a line cook at the Inn at Little Washington very early in my career. 

Four: I've seen how you love to use locally sourced, fresh ingredients in all of your restaurants, but what are your guilty pleasures when it comes to food?

Guilty pleasures: buffalo wings, mozzarella sticks and potato skins.  

Five: What is your signature dish?

I guess we’re known for the duck at Deuxave—spiced Long Island Duck Breast, depuy Lentils, French Kisses, turnips and sauce Robert.

Six: What has been your biggest struggle in your career?

Finding balance in life, I have been predominantly focused on work for the last 15 years and one of the downsides of this industry is that it gives you very little time to focus on yourself and family.

Seven: If you could only cook for one professional chef, who would it be?

I think probably Anthony Bourdain.  He’s so brilliant and nuts.  

Eight: Do you have any advice for someone who would aspire to be a chef?

If it’s something you really think you want to do, you have to be willing to work harder and longer than everyone next to you for years and years and years.  It’s a lifestyle choice in many ways and so before you get started, make sure you’re ready to go all in on it.

Nine: We know that, because of your job, your life is quite centred around food. What do you like to do in your free time?

I like to exercise and spend time with my son Carter.

Ten: What has been the most exciting opportunity you've had as part of your job? Example: Travelling to places, events etc.

I’m not really much of a globe-trotter but travels through France and Italy have certainly inspired my cooking, but I am really proud of our culinary traditions here and the incredible product that I have access to.

Find Chris on:

Comments

Popular Posts