Natasha Grove From Away With Words Calligraphy


Natasha Grove from Away With Words Calligraphy discusses balance with business, a family Sunday and her love for words.

One: What are your top tips for balancing work and leisure?

Plan in advance, create a timetable for upcoming projects, and never over-promise as you’ll only disappoint. I used to say ‘yes’ to every job that came my way but it’s not possible to do everything, so these days I’m much more selective with the projects that I take on. I make an effort to prioritise family time and leisure - my evenings and weekends are sacred.  


Two: What piece of work are you most proud of?


A 220-page, handwritten ‘love-book’ that I created for a wonderful client of mine. It contained every message, letter, email and note ever sent between two lovers. I hand-wrote every page and it was then bound in beautiful Nappa leather. Heaven.

Three: What would you say to someone who’s not very artistic, if they wanted to learn calligraphy?


‘You can do it!’ With calligraphy, it doesn’t matter if you’re not artistic or if you have messy handwriting - the beauty of ‘Modern Calligraphy’ is that there’s no ‘right’ way. There are plenty of tips and tricks that I use in my workshops to help people to develop their own style. In the end, it’s all about practice!


Four: When did you discover your love for lettering?


I’ve always loved stationery, letters and writing. However, it wasn’t until I got married that I discovered the delights of Modern Calligraphy. I took part in a few workshops with the wonderful Judy Broad and was totally hooked. I love the fact that I can now pass on my love of calligraphy to others in my own workshops.



Five: Tell us something not many people know about you?


I faint at the first sight of blood - to the extent that I once fainted on the tube as a result of a paper cut. I saw the blood on my finger and the next moment I was on the floor. A very kind commuter offered me their croissant and coffee, but must have been very disappointed when they found out what all the fuss was about!


Six: What has been the most fun calligraphy workshop you have hosted so far?


I honestly love all of my workshops as they are always full of students keen to learn, create and have a good time. My workshops at Wayland’s Yard in Worcester are particularly special as they provide the best coffee and homemade cakes in town. I’ve also hosted a couple of brilliant hen-do workshops which have been fuelled by Prosecco. 


Seven: Have you made any long-lasting connections with any of your clients?


Yes. I’d say 50% of my clients are regulars. Once you discover the world of Calligraphy you really are hooked! 


Eight: Describe a typical lazy Sunday?


A lazy Sunday is spent at home with my husband, nine-month-old daughter, and our blue whippet. The day starts with a long walk around Worcester Racecourse, followed by a big Sunday lunch at home with the rest of the family or friends. In the evening we do bath and bedtime with my daughter, and we then sit down with a glass of wine as we catch up on emails or watch a film.



Find more about Natasha and Away With Words Calligraphy here:

Instagram: @awwcalligraphy
Website: awaywithwordscalligraphy.com

Comments

Popular Posts